Thursday, November 20, 2014

Fight the power! Stay off the Grid!

I have a beef with this idea that fluid grids are some kind of salvation. They're good for laying out a single page that responds between two breakpoints, but they're not good beyond that.

Let's say you have a standard page with breakpoints for tablets, that looks something like this...


And the content in the blue is the 'meat' of your content. 

If you have placed your other content links in floating grid, that will work and look fantastic for that platform. 

But if you need to rearrange things for iPhone, you might want them OUT of the grid, like this, so some of them come before your content and some after.



And that right there is why I didn't include fluid grid support in Landscape 1.0. 
If you have a suggestion for how I could address this though, I'm all ears!

And now that I think about it, I remember a similar problem with tables, back before CSS. 

*shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment